Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II vs. Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX

Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
nightfly
Regular MemberPosts: 352Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II vs. Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX
In reply to KarateChop, Jan 6, 2012

About a year ago I was looking for a lens in that focal range, too. Read tons of reviews and spent weeks on Flickr and the likes.

I ended up with the Sigma 24/1.8. It's cheaper than the 20/1.8 and has better IQ. The Canon surely has the edge over the Sigma but then again, the Canon is more than three times the Sigma's price. No way it's three times the quality in any discipline.

I'm quite happy with the 24/1.8 which I regularly use on my 60D. The AF is sigma-ish, meaning it's hit and miss at short subject distances. Once you get past, say 4 or 5 metres it's fine. Or if the DOF eats up the focus miss. I mostly do close-ups with it, focussing manually. At greater distances I use both AF and MF.

Best thing, as always, would be a trip to the shops and test all the candidates as much as they'll let you.
--
Andreas

nightfly's gear list:nightfly's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow