ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mitya
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
E-3 auto focus problem, please help!
Jan 6, 2012

Guys, please, I need your help.

I am on assignment in Kabul, Afghanistan, the place is a bit disconnected from Olympus support. Thank God my job is video and stills is my hobby.

The only still camera I have here is 3 years old, so far bullet proof E-3 and it suddenly lost auto focus capability today. It worked fine in the evening and the next morning stopped auto-focusing with all lenses. There was no physical abuse, no moisture, no nothing!

I use 4 lenses: ZD 50-200mm swd, ZD 11-22mm, ZD 8mm and Lumix 25mm 1.4

The camera hunts for focus for 1-3 seconds and then sometimes quit focusing, sometimes it thinks that it took focus – the green diode in the VF gets solid, confirmation beep sounds, but the picture in the VF is totally blurred.

Single or continues focus, shape of auto focus area, camera mode - nothing matters, outside or indoors is all the same.

For example when working with 11-22mm lens the camera can not confirm focus on wide end at all, on 22mm it thinks it is in focus and beeps, but it takes the focus somewhere 9” away from the lens not at 12 feet where it suppose to be. It is extreme front focusing on all lenses now. It varies a little bit, depending where you point the camera – I checked it with a ruler – but it always sets the focus just a few inches away from the front glass.

I checked and cleaned the mirror, the sensor and 9-pin lens contacts, changed the body firmware to 1.4 – nothing helped so far.

Did anybody experience anything similar? Is there anything I can try or I should just master my manual focus skills until I am back home in February?

Thanks a lot!

Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow