Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MichaelK81
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
D4 outdoes 1Dx in video
Jan 6, 2012

I know, who cares right? They're photographic cameras, not video recording tools. Well, like it or not, the landscape has changed, and for someone (like me) who's getting into movie-making, my photographic arsenal can now be put to use without spending another $15k (which I don't have) on a dedicated video system.

And since all these DSLR photographers now have a movie-making ability just a button away, you can expect more use, and concurrently, more demand.

So if I read right, the D4 and 1Dx both offer 1080p @ 30fps and 720p @ 60fps. This is the first time a Nikon camera offers 60fps, so we can expect the same from D800 and D400. Fantastic for those creamy-smooth slow-motion shots.

What I was REALLY surprised to see is that the D4 can crop to 1.6x AND 2.7x while still shooting at 1080p. I don't know about you, but that means your 200mm becomes a whopping 540mm super telephoto (you know, in case you're looking to shoot birds from a mile away).

Not only that but the addition of a stereo headphone jack is PERFECT. This is fantastic for anyone using an external mic (points at self). Before you'd have no idea of what the mic was picking up. This will let you adjust mic sensitivity (and position, if you're using a boom or clipping a wireless mic to someone's shirt).

The time-lapse feature, smooth aperture control, B-frame compression, and manual control of ISO, shutter and aperture WHILE shooting are all excellent additions. Mic sensitivity can be adjusted in 20 steps vs. D7000s three.

I think the D800/D400 will give Canon's 5D III a worthy competitor when they're all announced!

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Nikon D4 Nikon D40 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow