Started Jan 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DBCapybara
Regular MemberPosts: 401
Like?
24-70 2.8 dissatisfaction
Jan 6, 2012

Bought the 24-70 2.8 about three months ago. Was disappointed with the sharpness it was giving me. I am not a pixel peeper but when one spends this kind of money on a new pro lens, one would like to feel that said new fancy lens is capable of images AS sharp as one's $199.00 35mm 1.8G.

Sadly, this has not been the case, I have tried focus charts and focus adjustment controls, have been very careful about placing my focus sensor on the eyes of my subjects, everything I can think of. Whenever I swap out for the my 35mm 1.8G or my 105mm 2.8D, almost all of my images are tack sharp. Switch back to the 24-70 2.8 on the same shoot and the images range from almost, sort of semi-sharp to almost blurry. So frustrating.

So before I sell this lens off in dissatisfaction, what would you do? Send it to a Nikon service center for an examination? I am using a D300 and this body is very sharp with all of my other primes and my Tokina 12-24, this is my only not sharp lens. I bought it from Amazon before the prices took a hike upwards, so do I send it to the Torrance, Ca. service center? (I am in SoCal) Do I need to send it with my D300 or just the lens. I have the case, box, packing, etc. or I might just drive it down there. Any tips, recommendations or ideas?

I like the colors, contrast, mechanical quality, it is a nice lens but this lack of ability to take sharp pictures is really starting to bug me. I have used it in the studio, running and gunning, under strobes, daylight with fill flash and even my best shots, which clients have been okay with although we only printed 5x7s, have been lacking in crispness and sharpness.

Don't want to sell this lens off and regret it but I am getting close to doing so. I don't think it is user error, as I said, all of my other lenses tend toward the sharp (70-300 VR) to razor sharp (35mm 1.8G, 50mm 1.8D and 105mm 2.8D and the Tokina 12-24 F4) so why can't this supposed pro, top of line Ferrari at least keep up with the much cheaper and older stuff?

Dan
--
I am all about the images not the gear.

Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow