Say it Isn't So!!!!

Started Jan 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
starwolfy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,140Gear list
Like?
Re: not a competitor, but
In reply to JeffS7444, Jan 6, 2012

One of the major point which is forgotten here is that buying Leica lenses is a kind of investment.
They are expensive, but provide the best quality and will last a life time.

If you think in a short term, yes, the X100 and this new body look really capable. Just as the NEX7. But does it beat a Leica system in term of investment? I doubt so.

This is just a full electronically device who will depreciate highly after a year when the new model is released and you can doubt what you bought for your body will be supported (i.e.: the new Sony EVF that everybody waited for NEX5 will work on NEX5n only so you are forced to upgrade).

You do not have any idea about how will last your lenses either and how it will be supported in the future with the new bodies.

What Leica give us is confidence. We pay high, but we got the best lenses with an amazing quality and built for a last time, with an amazing resale value, and an amazing long term support.

I think many of Leica users are just tired of the short product turnover and the consuming attitude organized by the BIGS.

In my case, I am only 25 but I already prefer a slower and more traditional approach to photography. I am not here to hurry and jump on any new product with kikoolol features...nor taking better at Iso 12000 at 7 PFS. Iso 1250 and one picture at a time is just enough for me.I do not need more. That's all.

Yes, based on spec it may not be the best. But based on user experience M bodies are amazing and really lovable. Once you've tried, you hardly look back.

As I said in an other thread. I feel this debate is really like the one we can find on computer forums. Some people are laughing at Mac users and say they are stupid to buy a Mac because you can find a PC for cheaper and much better specs. These people just won't understand that pure specs are not necessarily the main criteria regarding a purchase decision. I think it is same for Leica M bodies. What is amazing is the user experience, as well as the quality of their products.

-- hide signature --

Starwolfy
------------
NX10 + legacy lenses on:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/51235083@N05/

starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow