Started Jan 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,979Gear list
Like?
Contacting Sony for possible FW update suggestions
Jan 5, 2012

Long story short, I called Sony today to ask to suggest some FW additions they could add to the NEX-7 (and possibly NEX interface as a whole) in these coming months while the camera is still in short supply. I directed them to Peter Sills well put together list on firmware update suggestions he has found, as well as the many comments other readers have added to supplement the list.

The customer rep duly noted the web address and promised to pass it on to her supervisor. One thing that I wanted to ask about specifically was the seeming unnecessary limit on video recording for the NEX system (29 minutes, 59 secords) for countries outside the EU. (Note, this will not be an argument on continuous versus segmented recording, I'm not on that subject)

Her response was less than ideal. She said that sense these cameras were not meant to be strictly video cameras (which makes sense), that they put the limit in the camera for safety reasons (which doesn't make sense). I asked her if they have actually tested it to be unsafe, and she said yes, but this begs the question, what about the NEX system's overheat sensor that automatically turns off the recording when it gets too hot? I understand that the 5n has physical limitations that keep its recording time down to about 15 minutes, but I know that the 7 does not have this problem (see this thread post by Andy Westlake: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1042&message=40089173&q=its+a+really+dull+movie&qf=m ).

This brings me to wonder whether or not Sony will keep this limit in this camera just so it doesn't cannibalize sales from their handycams? I'm not sure. BUT! It's good to know that at least they'll get word about the other firmware update suggestions for the NEX system.

Guess it was a long story after all. Sorry. I just wanted to let you all know what Sony told me, and to encourage you all to do the same to call them if you have any suggestions for a future FW update!

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow