Say it Isn't So!!!!

Started Jan 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?
Re: not a competitor, but
In reply to stevielee, Jan 5, 2012

stevielee wrote:

Sorry if it seemed that I was "putting down Leica users" in the Fuji X100 thread. I did mean to kinda "put down" Leica themselves, for charging ridiculous sums of money for any of their digital cameras (even ones that they didn't even produce) by refusing to include many of the basic, modern features many lesser cameras have by default like: a high resolution rear LCD, or live view, or better ISO performance and speed..etc.

Whether it's coming from Fuji, or Olympus, or Sony, or whomever -- Leica's current digital cameras are getting trumped in nearly every parameter that counts for the majority of photographers right now - most importantly - in the value-to-performance arena - where Leica will probably never be able to favorably compete.

Granted, the Fuji X100 has numerous flaws (mostly with it's interface layout), but it still comfortably trounces Leica's own fixed-lens X1 in every single area (IMO) - except for sporting a prominent red dot - and it sells for nearly 50% less than the X1. I expect that the new X1 Pro from Fuji to completely crush the X1 and probably even exceed the M9 in overall IQ, features and performance. It may not have an M-mount so that many of Leica's superlative lenses could be utilized on a superior platform, but if the X100 is any marker of it's eventual quality - and Fuji manages to keep the total cost (with one, or two lenses) at less than 2-2.5K, -- what's left as a actual incentive for any potential M9 buyer - if they have to spend up to 3x as much for a higher-end, high quality compact camera - unless they already have a selection of M-mount lenses?

What Fujifilm, and Sony (with it's NX line) are clearly, and successfully displaying is the reality that anyone can now own a state-of-the-art, DSLR-like quality, features and performance compact digital camera - and do so at a reasonable cost. And that is what many of us photographic enthusiast have been clamoring for since the dawn of the digital camera era. High quality, compact, versatile, and AFFORDABLE!

Either Leica adapts to this new landscape, or they could very well end-up going the way of their current M9 sensor manufacturer -Kodak.....

My first camera was a Canon 7 rangefinder because I couldn't afford a Leica. The situation is pretty much the same all these years later. I would love to own an M9 and three good lenses for it - but this looks far more affordable. Some people have always been able, and been prepared, to pay the premium for Leica cameras and lenses. Nothing wrong with that and I expect it will continue. But then there's the rest of us...

The auto focus capability might be useful with my weakening eyes.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow