Started Jan 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PeterNMIF
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?
What's a 1" sensor? 1.5"?
Jan 5, 2012

I'm confused by the references in one of the rumor sites about a new G-series camera with a 1.5" sensor. I've never heard of a sensor referred to that way. They also said the current G-series is 1". But I only think of the current G and S seriea as 1/1.7" sensor. Where would 1" come from.

My only idea on this is that the current sensor measures about 7.5mm x 5.5mm. If you add up all 4 sides that gives you 26mm which is about 1". Is that where it comes from?

With the same logic, the new Nikon 3x crop camera (J1, V1) has a 44mm total dimension (add four sides of a 13.2mm x 8.8mm sensor) would be a 1.7". So if what I am speculating about is correct, the new G-series camera will have a sensor just barely smaller than the Nikon J1.

Now, it they would just drop the OVF and replace it with a 100% coverage EVF.... (of course, your mileage may vary.)

Peter F.
--
Blog and Zenfolio-sponsored galleries at:
http://www.peterfraileyphoto.com/

PeterNMIF's gear list:PeterNMIF's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow