Say it Isn't So!!!!

Started Jan 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
Re: It isn't so
In reply to VladimirV, Jan 5, 2012

VladimirV wrote:

Not that I expect much from Fuji after they messed up the firmware of both the X10 and X100 cameras but I expect more from them than from Leica who either re-badge Panasonic cameras or rehash the same old thing without even trying something new. The S2 is an exception and while it's nice it's not interesting for the majority of people.

The M9 is completely new. The RF is the most precise focusing system and is a reason for buying it.

What you said is like accusing British Airways of re-hashing the old thing as they still use planes and haven't tried balloons for short-haul

harold1968 wrote:

If Fuji made a brass and magnesium camera with a true RF mechanism and a lens range of Leica quality I would be interested, but I doubt it.

Why is the RF mechanism so important? It has a lot of problems with close focusing, telephoto lenses, needs to be calibrated properly, can't deal with lenses which are not RF coupled, have focus shift and the list goes on. Next to the fact that it's impossible to accurately frame with it.

There is no problem with close focusing. You just can't close focus below whatever the lens is rated at.

SLR macro lenses can focus closer, but Leica make a macro kit lens for those who want.
There are many things the RF doesn't do, like long telephoto (beyond 135mm).
The M9 no good for some things and unsurpassed for others, what else is new!
The framing is second nature to me and believe 99% of users.

As for the lens range, Fuji could simply release an adapter to mount M lenses on it like you can do on the NEX cameras or the Ricoh GXR even without an adapter.

Talking about lenses, the 50mm Summilux ASPH is worth just buying an M9 for ...

Why buy a M9 when it's mostly about the lenses which work on other cameras with less compromises?

The M9 is a no compromise travel camera and small studio/fine art camera.

M lenses on other cameras don't have the focus system and furthermore no M lens works on another electronic FF camera, so buying a summilux and loosing 33% of DOF control is a waste

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow