First pics from TL500

Started Dec 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
rohorn
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: First pics from TL500
In reply to Nevada-is-HOME, Jan 5, 2012

Nevada-is-HOME wrote:

The argument is this.. what is so good about a Samsung EX-1, Panasonic LX-5, Olympus XZ-1, etc. if a Canon G12 shooting at F/2.8 at ISO 800 can match a TL-500 shooting at F/2.0 at ISO 400 with the shutter speed being the same.

This is the type of real life comparison that is sorely lacking when dpreview.com reviews cameras.. For lack of a better description.. I would like to see more cross platform camera comparisons within the P&S categories.

Might be a valid comparison when comparing jpg files, but in raw, no, the G12 is NOT better. They both have the same sensors.

I think the dpr comparison tool does a rather good job of exposing differences in jpg processing between cameras and ISOs. What the comparison tool does poorly is another subject.

Recently had the EX1 at a daughter's play with lighting vastly worse than any basketball game. With lens zoomed around the 12-15mm range, it was still opened up to F/2.3 and shot at ISO 800 in the 1/45 - 1/60 second range. With a G12, the aperture at that zoom would be a lot smaller that F/2.8 and I would have had to bump up the ISO or shoot even slower. I don't think I need to run a test in a basketball game to know where that is going to go. Heck, maybe I should - and test the sef20a flash while I'm at it.

If I had to shoot them in jpg, then the G12 might well have been better than the EX1. But that's why I got the EX1 - I'm not stuck with jpg.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow