my thoughts on Leica lens and camera bodies

Started Jan 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
monoblocks
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
Re: my thoughts on Leica lens and camera bodies
In reply to Franka T.L., Jan 4, 2012

I certainly agree with what Franka has pointed out.

Interestingly, the most expensive Leica cameras and lens are now being sold in Hong Kong to tourist from China. It is not uncommon to find old, rare, excellent exotic Leica bodies sold as high as US$ 30,000 to 40,000 or even over 50,000. And I have seen Leica M3 body sold as high as US$ 20,000 in local shop. These items are always bought back by tourist as presents and gifts. Because of a surge of demand of both camera lens and bodies, there is always a back-log for those lens and camera bodies. And it become annoying for those who really want one for taking photos. As a result, the prices for all second-hand and used items have surged and some of them can disappear literally. The proof is that you see less and less Leica sold out from Japan than Hong Kong through internet because the demand is here.

However, it is sad that these photographic equipment are getting into hands of big spenders and collectors, those who know not a cent about taking photographs. Neither do they appreciate the true beauty of a Leica M and the photos from the lens. All they realize is the red dot - it has become a symbol of wealth and prestige. This is not what someone who takes Leica seriously as a photographic equipment would like to hear.

Lastly, my good guess is that the upcoming Leica mirror-less in 2012 should be able to accommodate M mount manual lens and comes with a creditable focusing method with manual M lens.

Hope that Leica, while retaining its legend, will strike on a business plan that brings its unique photographic pleasure to those who appreciate perfection!
--
monoblocks

monoblocks's gear list:monoblocks's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow