Started Jan 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
D Alchemist
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
zx-1 DOF vs Sony 5n- It's a draw!
Jan 4, 2012

I am weighing a ZX-1 purchase vs. a Nex 5n (yes, I know, not the same category, yet the 2 cameras currently on the market that come closest to my ideal compact).

The ability to create limited DOF is a key differentiator vs. other compacts. Knowing that sensor size has a large impact on DOF (In Sony's favor) as does lens speed (in Olympus' favor- looking at kit lens here) I decided to try to use online calculators to compare. Using the longest focal length of the Sony (the shorter of the two-83mm) and comparing at the FL for both (apples to apples), putting both wide open at that FL (F/3.5 vs. F/2.0 (est.)) the minimum DOF of the Sony is 2.0 meters, the Olympus is 1.9. I call that a draw. If you push the Olympus out to the end of it's FL range, you get a DOF of 1.3 meters- a good bit better.

Only one characteristic, but I thought that was interesting and a bit surprising. Most folks might assume that the f/1.8-2.5 would be markedly better than f/3.5-5.6 at creating shallow DOF, even given the smaller sensor, but such is not the case. Still leaning towards the Oly. Cheers,
JD

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow