1D mkIII vs. Sony SLT a77

Started Dec 23, 2011 | Discussions thread
GiovanniB
Contributing MemberPosts: 971Gear list
Like?
Re: 1D mkIII vs. Sony SLT a77
In reply to Per Inge Oestmoen, Jan 3, 2012

Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:

Time and again I have seen how older "pro" grade cameras turn out to be superior to new models in several if not necessarily all ways. I do not say that it is feasible to make enlargements with files from the 1D III up to the size possible with the A77. But that only means that the number of pixels is another factor coming into the equation when one makes enlargements. If we are talking about the pixel quality, I strongly doubt that the Sony is better.

Well regarding pixel quality, of course larger photosites combined with high quality lenses are helpful. However up to a certain pixel density, at least at low ISO settings you will not be able to distinguish from the result between images taken with a low-cost consumer DSLR and a "pro tool" like the 1D series, provided both have the same resolution - and 10 MP isn's something that would be too much for any APS-C DSLR with reasonable optics. There are differences of course - but these affect primarily handling, weather sealing, as well as AF and burst performance. For example I've taken many shots with a relatively cheap Sony A100 which turned out excellent, with great sharpness and dynamic range. However, taking these sometimes took a bit more effort exposure and focus wise than just pointing and pressing the shutter - which would have been possible with a 1D if properly set up for the job.

GiovanniB's gear list:GiovanniB's gear list
Apple Aperture
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow