Started Jan 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gatorowl
Contributing MemberPosts: 762Gear list
Like?
Canon SX40 v Panasonic FZ150: Focal Length Differences
Jan 3, 2012

I've seen a lot of discussion and comparisons about and of these two bridge cameras. But I didn't really see any good examples of how different the two focal lengths are. I purchased the FZ150 and have been generally pleased with its performance. However, I had questions about whether the extra reach of the SX40 would make a difference in my photography. So, I acquired a copy of the SX40 and produced the following comparison.

http://gatorowl.smugmug.com/Photography/Canon-SX40-v-Panasonic-LX150/20871571_SxdTjT

Note that my gallery is not a test of IQ. I am simply not patient and careful enough to test cameras. However, what you should take away from viewing this gallery is how different these cameras are at their wide and long ends.

In addition, I have included a couple of digital zoom shots from the SX40 (the FZ150 has digital zoom as well, but it is a pain to use, so I didn't bother trying).

I also have a couple of shots with deep shadows from which I tried to extract detail. You can judge how successful I was and whether the FZ150 raw provides significant benefits.

Finally, most of these shots were taken at ISO100. I wasn't trying to test low-light performance. However, at the end, there are a few ISO1600 shots.

No conclusions (yet). I'd like to hear your opinions.

P.S. I am cross-posting this thread on the Canon and Panasonic forums.

gatorowl's gear list:gatorowl's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow