Started Jan 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mastermind
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?
A77 + 70-400G Amazing Hand-held Moon Shots
Jan 3, 2012

Very impressed with the A77 capabilities. It's a clear sky tonight and the moon was over head. I had to stick my head out of my windows and there's no way for me to use my tripod without going outdoors. I've decided to just use the flip out screen and hand hold the A77 with the 70-400G lens (and also the 2x kenko teleplus pro teleconverter) to take some shots of the moon just for fun. I thought the chances of success was low but I'm surprised at the hit rate and quality of the images!

I used the focus peaking for most shots in manual focus as focus magnification is of little use handheld. Just imagine holding the 70-400G lens fully extended steady to keep the moon within the frame while adjusting focus! These features really adds up for the A77 imho.

All out of camera jpegs, converted to black and white and cropped using Picasa. Manual focus and exposure.

First shot with the 2x teleconverter.

Just the 70-400G lens

Just the 70-400G lens with 2x smart teleconverter. It may be better to just crop rather than use this function

Finally, I up-res the moon shots without the kenko teleplus pro 2x to compare with the shots with the teleconverter and found that it is worthwhile using the 2x teleconverter as it seems to give a bit more details. (L- with 2x teleconverter, R - up-res image)

Now I'm using this set of moon shots as my desktop background instead of the set taken with the A900 some years back.

Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow