Started Jan 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AndyPalf
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Best pancake for a beginner
Jan 3, 2012

Hello everyone, first post from a long time lurker here. I picked up a E-PL2 at Christmas and I've been having plenty of fun with it discovering it's capabilities (I'm also new to photography as a whole). The kit lens is versatile and giving me pleasing results but as expected the urge to try new lenses and see what the E-PL2 is capable of is eating away at me.

So I feel a pancake lens is the obvious route to go down as it makes the setup up more appealing to pick up and take with me everywhere. But which one? As frankly trying them in the shop might not offer an obvious winner.

-I love taking shots at twighlight/nightime (I find London's grey days a bit dull, so enjoy the more vivid nightlife we have). So the Panny 20mm looks good with it's f1.7.

-Then I wonder how much difference there is to the Oly 17mm and if that's a better match to teh E-PL2, will the AF work better?

-Finally, I do enjoy a landscape or two. So the Panny 14mm looks great. If it had an aperture to match the 20mm I think it would be a no-brainer.

So what's everyone's thoughts on this conundrum? The reviews all point towards the 20mm. Any other perspectives or experiences?

Cheers

AndyPalf's gear list:AndyPalf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
20mmNew
20mmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow