Started Jan 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
monoblocks
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?
my thoughts on Leica lens and camera bodies
Jan 3, 2012

I have a Leica M8 camera body as well as a few Leica lens. Lately I have acquired a Ricoh GXR M unit which takes on Leica M mount lens. And it is interesting to know that the focusing system with GXR M is really creditable. It uses a so called "peaking" system. I can focus as fast on my Ricoh as the Leica M8. And for lens with longer focal length, Ricoh has edge over M bodies with its way of focusing.

Traditionally, range finder focusing bounds M lens to expensive M bodies. However, with creditable new focusing system out from third party cameras, the linkage is likely to be loosen. Besides, as the focusing system is software generated, I can see there should be room of improvement with firmware upgrade.

Now, one can mount used M lenses on cheap third party mirrorless cameras like Sony and Ricoh and focus conveniently. Remember, these companies have technology on advance sensor design. One day, I am not surprised they will be able to manufacture a full frame sensor for Leica M lens on their own camera bodies. Or they can produce sensor that brings much higher fidelity than those used on Leica camera bodies.

And I would believe that people will take up more and more used Leica lenses with their mirrorless camera but leave behind the VERY expensive Leica camera bodies.

The price of lens will go up but price of camera body will come off as their sensors will be outdated. Besides, their range finder focusing system have lost itheir magic.

As the range finder bondage is being eroded gradually, I think it is time for Leica to rethink their strategy. Of course they might still survive on a niche market with collector and big spenders, but they will be marginalized. As a Leica fan, I would really want to see the company landing on some long term strategy and let its lens and camera body technologies to shine again and within reach for those who love perfection.
--
monoblocks

monoblocks's gear list:monoblocks's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow