Started Jan 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
compupro
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
New NEX-5 display for video, manual focus etc - no need for EVF
Jan 3, 2012

I found a rather useful add-on to enhance the viewfinder capability of NEX-5. It's a Sony 5 inch LCD with an HDMI connection and a battery of its own. I just bought it and tested with the NEX-5 and also with my other gear, Nikon 7000 and a Canon video camera.

With Nikon it sits nicely in the flash shoe and is able to show a real time view of all the operations like camera settings, live view in video mode etc. The real advantage is in addition to the size is that you can turn it freely in any direction and have even several meters distance between the camera and display.

With NEX-5 the functionality is the same. It seems to have its own focus peaking and also a magnification for manual focus assist. I have not been able to test all those functions in practice so far. With NEX my plan is to get one of those cold flash shoes that JTec makes and use the display on top of the NEX. An other alternative will be to use a separate sub-frame to bolt the new display and the NEX side by side.

So far the only trouble has been that the frame & cover for the display does not fit precisely to its place. The upper connection tags are 2,5 mm too wide.

We who are not able to add the new NEX-7 kind of EVF to our NEX-5 can now have another way to enhance our camera work.

Has anyone else used this kind of additional display with NEX cameras? Experiences and comments please. Thanks in advance.

compupro's gear list:compupro's gear list
Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow