Tamron Lenses

Started Dec 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
Fujifilm Finepix F30
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?
Tamron = best price:performance ratio
In reply to MHolley1986, Jan 3, 2012

I own two Tamron zoom lenses, one Sigma prime and one Canon kit lens.

For price:performance ratio, the Tamron can't be beat by either Canon or Sigma.

Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 VC - May not outperform the focusing speed of Canon or Sigma lenses, but very accurate and more silent autofocus (than the non-VC version) and very sharp lens. Corners not as sharp compared to the Canon, but for the overall picture quality and focus accuracy, just excellent for the price, I have no complaints whatsoever. The VC is so much better than Canon's IS. 1/8 sec? No problem so long as subjects are not moving. 1/4sec should give you 75% keeper rate for non-moving subjects. Some users even claim 1/2sec and 1 full sec exposure. I don't have those kind of hands but yes, Tamron's claim to 4 stops advantage with their VC is not at all simply marketing claim.

Tamron 18-270/F3.5-6.3 VC PZD - Tamron has finally caught up with the focus speed of Sigma and Canon with this PZD version. Very sharp, fast, and very accurate focus. Not as sharp as the Tamron 70-300 VC but for the zoom versatility, this is the lens to get. Again, the VC is noteworthy. For non-moving subjects, 1/30sec at full telephoto (270mm) should be no problem. Moon shot handheld at 270mm and 1/30sec.? No problem, Tamron's VC is that good! This should have been the standard lens for all Rebel cameras especially knowing that many users may never even bother to buy another lens other than the 18-55mm EF-S kit lens.

Canon should make an EFS 18-270 F/3.5-6.3 USM IS version and bundle it with their Rebel line.

About the Sigma - I have the Sigma 30mm F/1.4. It is really fast focusing though in general and based on my experience and those from other owners, not as accurate autofocus than the Tamrons. As a consolation, the Canon EF 28mm F/1.8 is not better in focus accuracy than the Sigma and costs more. Also, the EF 28 F/1.8 has a busy/double vision/'Nisen' bokeh compared to the Sigma's creamy bokeh. Generally, Sigma lenses are known to have MORE autofocus inaccuracy issues than the Tamrons, but also generally are known to have FASTER autofocus than the Tamrons (with the exception of Tamron's PZD lens).

Both Sigma and Tamron lenses have better contrast, colors/saturation than many of the Canon EF and EF-S (non-L) lenses. (Canon 28 F/1.8, 18-55 kit, 18-135, 50-250, etc.)

Not to criticize the Canon, but if you have LOTS of money AND earn from your photography, go for Canon 'L' lenses. If you do photography for family, vacation and hobby (not to earn money), forget about Canon's EF-S/non 'L' lenses. You can get better quality, better contrast/colors and overall, dramatically better price:performance ratio elsewhere with third party lens makers.

Don

MHolley1986 wrote:

Are the tamron lenses any good? They seem to be less expensive. As I'm new to DSLR I'm weary of buying anything that isn't Canon.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow