Just exactly how waterproof are weather resistant DSLR's?

Started Jan 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pentaxfun
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?
Just exactly how waterproof are weather resistant DSLR's?
Jan 2, 2012

So, when using a "WR" lens in combination with a "WR" DSLR body, can you truly shoot in POURING RAIN without any worries whatsoever about the electronics getting damaged by the water? Like, could it stand up to having an actual bucket of water poured on it? Where is the limit? I assume it cannot actually be submerged into a tank of water, but, how wet can it really safely get before damage is a concern?

Personally, I love the rain, and I think it would be cool to take some shots in the rain, but, I've never really been sure just how rain-safe the various "weather resistant" cameras actually are, given how tricky marketing teams and their lawyers can often be, and how many loopholes they might have of being able to claim one thing, when the actual device isn't truly able to handle much at all without breaking.

So, I figured I would just ask those of you who actually have these cameras and know from experience.

Also, I am wondering if there is a significant difference in how much water one brand of "weather resistant" camera/lens combo can handle compared to another, like, maybe Canon can take more than Nikon, or Pentax can take more than Canon, or I dunno, like, just wondering if they are all identical in how much water they can withstand if anyone knows.

But mainly am more curious about the first stuff I asked about, the latter question is of lesser importance, just figured I'd ask just in case anyone knows. Alright, thanks

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow