Nikor 105 Vr Macro and 70-200 VR II comparison

Started Dec 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Forum ProPosts: 15,025
Like?
Re: Nikor 105 Vr Macro and 70-200 VR II comparison
In reply to anotherMike, Jan 2, 2012

anotherMike wrote:

What you are seeing matches my results as well.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the 105/2.8 VR lens - oh, it has a boatload of contrast, but even stopped down in moderate distance (think studio), the 105/2 DC was sharper. I think they gave up some image quality performance in order to get VR in that lens, to be honest, and I've long since sold mine off. I think it's a very good lens, but frankly at the same time I consider it a "miss" amongst a series of "hits" in terms of Nikons recent "G" glass. The 85/1.4G, VR-II zoom, 60/2.8G, the two 1.4G fast wide primes are all better lenses than the 105/2.8G VR in my mind.

On the other hand, the 70-200 VR-II (and specifically the VR-II only) seems to have been designed for closer in to moderate distance performance. I was beyond shocked when, at studio distance (say 8 feet) tests the 70-200 at 105 was sharper than my 105/2 DC or my 85/1.4 AF-D, and since the 105/2 DC was sharper than the 105 VR at the same distance, it makes sense. In these close/moderate ranges, the VR-II is about as sharp as it gets in real world terms. So it doesn't surprise me at all what you're seeing.

Now - at macro distances, I'd think the 105/2.8VR should be able to hold it's own, but I don't shoot macro and haven't made the comparisons at those sorts of distances.

Very interesting. I would love to see a 105/2DC comparison. I found the 105 f2.8 to be as sharp as the 70-200 VRI on DX, but that equality may just be in the way I'm seeing. On DX the VRI is usually sharper than the VRII 70-200 f2.8 at the long end in the center. The reverse on the short side as the VRII version seems to lead.

Here's a comparison of the 70-200 VRI at 105mm with the 105 f2.8. Here the 70-200 seems to lead but I think it's more a reflection of how the light differed slightly. Both seem to work equally well in this specific situation. No PP other than the slight crop.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow