Started Jan 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John of Brisbane
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Capture Date Rules - Tempted but not quite
Jan 2, 2012

This may have been discussed before - and I'm pretty sure it has, but I will bring it up again. I just came up against the capture date rule in a challenge I wanted to enter.

This has never really bothered me before as I try to take pictures to comply if I can and if I can't then I just bypass the challenge.

However in this instance I had a photo in my archives which I felt would be perfect for the challenge and it was a genre that I hadn't come across before so I wanted to see how this photo would go. (it was a picture I took in Europe 5 years ago and there was no way to recreate this in the last two weeks as I live in Australia)

In any case, I did a little research and found I could VERY easily change the EXIF capture date and actually have the photo accepted into the challenge. I uploaded the photo up to the point where it would normally be rejected and found that my edit certainly did the trick and passed this point.

I won't detail here how I did it (and most posters in these forums would know how to do it anyway) but my questions are
1.If it's so easy to "cheat" this rule, even bother with it?
2. How can a host tell if the rule has been bypassed.

As strong as the temptation to cheat was, I resisted and won't enter the photo, but I feel cheated myself knowing that others can easily bypass this rule and enter the challenge anyway.
Happy New Year everyone

John of Brisbane's gear list:John of Brisbane's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow