Started Jan 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Digital Alfredo
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
RE: P500. Is It Just Me, Or...
Jan 1, 2012

I bought the red P500 back in June, and while I love the zoom and the great quality of HD video it takes... I have to say that I'm a bit underwhelmed - ever after having 6 months+ to play around with it.

My number one gripe with the thing is that it's horrible in low-light situations - despite having a backside illuminated CMOS that is supposedly designed to make taking photos in low light easier with better results.

Number two gripe is the general fuzziness and noise prevalent in each photo - to the point where - if I'm posting to here or using a photo for strictly web purposes - I have to slash the resolution to between 1280px and 1600px along the largest axis to get a quality I can endorse... and that's AFTER going at the pic with Nik's output sharpener.

My final gripe - and it's a minor one - is the ridiculously tiny frame size for the high speed shots at full slow-down: what practical use is there for such tiny video? Most cell phones have better resolution on their screens.

I switched to the P500 from a Lumix DMC-Z28, and the difference in quality is quite jarring - and in fact, I'm contemplating selling this P500 so I can buy a better super-zoom in the same class.

Anyone have suggestions?

-- hide signature --

To be one with the noodle, one must be in harmony with the sauce.

Digital Alfredo's gear list:Digital Alfredo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Nikon D5000
Nikon Coolpix P500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow