Started Oct 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: I can't help but chuckle...
In reply to marcio_napoli, Dec 31, 2011

Hi Marcio,

Seasons greetings to you and your family

Your posts are always a breath of fresh air. Your creativity and open mindedness are truly inspiring.

I work in product innovation, including many years in the Professionally photographic Industry, conducting thousands of experiments on light modifying materials, using both internal and external light reflection, on a giant scale, and on a sub-miniature scale.

Tony's closed mind is something I never saw in any of the great photographers I worked with from all over the world. But the discussion has focussed my mind to the CCD V CMOS debate.

In order to achieve parity with CCD, front-side CMOS Sensors require pixel level A/D conversion, which ironically may add more circuit noise, and reduce the already small

area devoted to light collection making CMOS sensors ever dependant on their micro lenses,

From my experience with light collection methods, these micro lenses, can act as a filter, blocking out light from wide angles, and bending some good rays into bad angle rays. (No free lunch). The other factor is that the incident light rays will change according to scene and lens configuration. This may explain why the D300 can produce noise in skies, or any scene that has lots of scattered rays, that would register on film or on CCD, with no problems.

So to recap, pixel level A/D conversion preclude analogue colour preconditioning, which causes colour problems that are not cheap nor easy to solve. Front illuminated CMOS sensors require micro lenses, that are a mixed blessing.

You cant beat nice quiet, large CCD pixels, that accept light from all angles, in all situations, with easy management of colour.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow