I miss my D200

Started Oct 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
caspianm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,858Gear list
Like?
Re: I will make a very accurate comparison this weekend
In reply to Deleted-pending, Dec 31, 2011

FTH wrote:

Just bought a D5100 sharing the D7K 16MP CMOS sensor. Trully hesitate about upgrading my D40X for a D200, but bought a D5100 instead.

First tests disqualify the D5100 for all its so-called "advantages". The sharpness simply isn't there, whole textures lack of detail vs the D40x, at the same ISO settings (800 to 3200), all noise filters OFF. I used manual settings with 4 different speeds, iso settings and flash, using the single focus point. Also, even if the D5100 colors looks a bit richer, skin looks like almond paste.

This is my second CMOS aps-c body with the canon T2i. Had the same issues with this camera, blaming the strong AA filter @ first.

Maybe the D300 or D700 share a different generation of CMOS sensor and don't suffer from those issues.

Keep in mind that D5100's pixel density is a lot higher and that might gives the illusion of softer image. However detail is there once they are resampled to the same density and displayed at the same size.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Samsung TL500 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow