Started Dec 31, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
astralux
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
Nikor 105 Vr Macro and 70-200 VR II comparison
Dec 31, 2011

While this is in no way a lab test, this is somewhat strange to me. I have a couple of D3x's that I use for studio work, mostly product shots of small shiny objects. I have always used the 105mm Nikor Macro lenses which gave me very good results and have thought that one of the factors for the high quality was the fact that they are primes( conventional wisdom states that prime lens = maximum sharpness etc). I bought a 70-200 Vr II a few weeks ago for fashion work and noticed that it gave me really good results. Over the past 2 days I have used the 70-200 for shooting some wine glasses (I did not want to change lenses because my camera techie is on holiday and risking gettin dust in the D3x was to great (which is the only downer with the otherwise brilliant D3x)). Direct comparison between images shot with the 105mm and the 70-200 (A3 prints)gives the impression that the 70-200 is 'sharper' than the 105mm which is puzzling as it defies conventional wisdom (the 70-200 was set to 105mm and both lenses shot at F11). Could it be that I just got lucky and got an excellent 70-200 (maybe my 105's are not from a 'good' batch), or has lens technology progressed a lot from when the 105mm was released (got mine 2 years ago).

BTW, both lens models focus perfectly on both camera bodies with no micro focus adjustment needed but they needed some adjustments on my D7000's to compensate for front and rear focussing.

Nikon D3X Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow