Started Dec 30, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jose Rocha
Contributing MemberPosts: 981Gear list
Like?
Getting a D700 soon... or D7000?
Dec 30, 2011

Hi, I have a D300 which I love generally, but not so in IQ in low light. I had a D50 before and at that time I got very nice ISO 1600 RAWs, which I too have with the D300. But I got this used D300 thinking that I would have equal performance in low light at ISO 3200, but I was wrong. The worst thing is that the D300 seem to clip shadows much easier than the D50 did, and even in daylight when I shoot portraits the part of the hair that is in the shade is not more than a ugly smudge of black with grey pixels. This didn't happen with the D50, I was able to recover shadows if I wanted and instead of the smudge I got uniform noisy shadows, but I could see the hair there.

Maybe I'm not explaining this well. This happens also in churches for example. It seems that is a lot harder to bring back shadow detail with the D300. I'm using Adobe Lightroom 2 BTW.

So I'm about to sell my D300, sadly, because I love the way it handles. My dream camera is the D700, not only because of IQ, but also because I have 2 manual lenses and I wear glasses. It's a bit difficult to MF with one of my MF lenses (an 85mm f/1.4) and because I wear glasses I can't place my eye right over the viewfinder. Other thing is that the D300 doesn't have the 3-way focus confirmation light that the D700 and D7000 have, and I guess I could benefit a lot with the huge D700 viewfinder.

So, my plan is to get one of those cameras and stick to it for a lot of years. I thought that the D300 was the one but it disappointed me, especially when I used it on astrophotography.

As I said, the D700 is my dream camera and I'm in the process of getting a used one with less than 3000 actuations for about 1600€. I'm selling the D300 for 800€ (19000 actuations) plus about 600€ more for 3 of my DX lenses. I still keep the Tamron 70-300 VC, the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 and the Voigtlander 20mm that work in FX.

I probably will get the 50mm f/1.8G and then I'll only need a wide-angle lens to replace my Sigma 10-20 which I'm selling. What is the cheapest wide-angle lens for FX available now with good edge-to-edge IQ? It may be a prime lens.

Or... do you recommend the D7000 instead of the D700?
It's a difficult decision to make and I hope I make the right one.
Thanks!

http://olhares.aeiou.pt/jplacebo

Jose Rocha's gear list:Jose Rocha's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow