Move from PL2 to E3?

Started Dec 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
Michael Meissner
Forum ProPosts: 23,239Gear list
Like?
Re: Move from PL2 to E3?
In reply to Retro Joe, Dec 30, 2011

Retro Joe wrote:

Since also purchasing one of the Wolf eBayed E-3s I picked up the 14-54mm(used) and an adapter for 2 new Diana lenses; one telephoto, one wide angle(of course, the it won't be so wide on the E-3, more like 76mm and that is fine). The 14-54mm is perfect for my shooting preferences and while I don't know enough about the 12-60mm, it's cost was more than I wanted to spend as I transition to 4/3s again.

The 12-60mm has a bit more range than the 14-54mm, though for some photos the 12-13mm has complex wave distortions that affects some photos (particularly with parallel lines in them), and doesn't affect others.

Besides the range, the auto focus is very fast. The E-3 and 12-60mm SWD were announced together (along with the 50-200mm SWD), and presumably designed together.

The 12-60mm also directly connects the focus ring to the focusing mechanism, while most of the lenses are focus by wire, where turning the focus ring sends a signal to the camera, and then it sends a signal to the focus motor.

The 12-60mm has a 72mm filter thread instead of 67mm.

So, if you need fast auto focus, it may be worth upgrading, otherwise it may not be.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow