Any one use nikon 85mm 3.5g vr for portraits and have examples?

Started Dec 8, 2011 | Discussions thread
ebsilon
Contributing MemberPosts: 602
Like?
Re: Any one use nikon 85mm 3.5g vr for portraits and have examples?
In reply to martinimagery, Dec 29, 2011

martinimagery wrote:

As a portrait lens, I think it's "ok" to "good" depending on the background. If it's used in a studio setting then it's not that big of deal but when used the for environmental shots the F3.5 does show backgrounds a bit more than you might want.

But as a macro, it's SHARP, SHARP, SHARP!

regards,
Martin

Here's a few quick shots with the lens taking candid shots.

Bokeh is a little busy on the trees but nothing to fret over:

Very nice and interesting series Martin. The bokeh of the trees in the background is indeeed a little busy - it looks to me that the business is more caused by the typical swirly bokeh (cats eyes shaped towards corners) that many lenses exhibit, rather than the grittiness seen in other lenses (e.g. the 50mm f/1.8D and some times and probalby would in this example the 85mm f/1.8D). The smoothness is actually quite ok. But f/3.5 is not always sufficent in terms pf isolation as this picture shows. Although undoubdetly a fine macro lens, personally I'd wish for a spec closer to the Tamron 60mm f/2. I'm a bit hesitant about third-party lenses because of AF issues. Say a 75mm f/2.4 micro AF-s (no VR) DX, that could be something. For now I'm quite happy with the good, although not quite great, 85mm f/1.8D.
--
------- Eirik ----------

Visit my gallery at http://eirikbs.smugmug.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow