Started Dec 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David247
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406Gear list
Like?
Three panoramas - FZ150
Dec 29, 2011

Three panoramas, same subject but each photographed differently. All were shot from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science third floor gallery but had to be shot through a glass window. Unfortunately the 4th floor outdoor veranda which provides the best and clearest view was not open today, probably due to cold and ice.

I would be interested if there is one that people like better. At some future date when the fourth floor outdoor veranda is accessible I'll reshoot for maximum quality. You can download a 50% size copy if you like by clicking on the file name/orginal. Please respect my copyright and do not repost anywhere without permission.

Oh, and post processing is in Aperture 3 with stitching done in Calico. Except for the stitching and a little sharpening and color correction, no other post processing was done. All are from JPEG (forgot to turn on RAW). EXIF image is for the first (left hand) exposure but is consistent across the image.

Pano one was a 3 frame horizontal, shot using the FZ150 "Panorama Assist" scene mode. In this mode the camera locks exposure on the first frame (Left side) and then maintains it for the additional images. It provides a grid to help with alignment handheld and as you move from frame to frame it will overlap a ghost image to help you ensure you have enough overlap to stitch the image effectively. Actually finished image size 9454 X 2860 pixels or about a 27 megapixel image. File size in JPEG is 6.07 MB.

A lot of reviewers have knocked the FZ150 for not have an "in camera" panorama mode. If you have ever noticed though, just about all of those "in camera" panoramas are limited to 1080 pixels in height. This panorama is 2.6 times larger and therefore could be printed to a very nice wall size image, while those "other panoramas" would be quite limited in viewing size. Personally I like Panasonic's approach, while it is a little more work, it is much more useful to me, rather then a gimmick.

Pano two is a 4 frame vertical panorama (camera held in portrait mode to maximize the vertical pixels.) For this one I did it the old fashioned way and just "estimated visually" my overlap and alignment (didn't have a tripod with me). I zoomed in a little more to get better distance detail on the city. Final image size is 10060 X 3932 pixels, 39.6 megapixels.

Pano three is a 4 frame zoomed in, shot horizontal format. Again, I estimated visually for horizon and overlap. 12043 X 2827 pixels. 34 MP. Clouds partially obscured some of the lighting over the city and you can see the storm front over the mountains. Forecast for the city though is partly sunny and and temperature is 52° F or 11 ° C. Not unusual for the mountains to get storms and snow while the city is nice.

-- hide signature --
 David247's gear list:David247's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus E-510
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow