Started Dec 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gipper51
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,025Gear list
Like?
Where does FF sit in 5 years?
Dec 29, 2011

I really am starting to wonder if Canon has a huge problem on their hands regarding the current FF system moving forward. I read lots of threads on these forums of current or former FF owners who are now using almost exclusively an interchangeable compact system (m4/3, NEX) while their bulky, expensive FF system sits in the shelf gathering dust, or has been sold. I can't say how many fall in this camp, but look at the traffic in m4/3 or Sony NEX land vs any of the Canon DSLR forums and it's clear where the current interest is at. There are LOTS of former FF digital owners in those forums...an alarming number actually.

Since the introduction of m4/3 and the systems that have followed, it seems the market for FF cameras has shrunk considerably. Sure there are lots of pros and hardcore enthusiast who will continue to use them, but it seems the number of folks in the 'hardcore enthusiast" segment is shrinking fast. The "small and very good image quality" formula seems to be winning out over "huge but amazing image quality". I can see why, these little systems are very impressive and are getting better every generation. I played with a Nikon 1 at Best Buy and the AF speed on that little bugger is...staggering. The NEX 7 with the right glass can match a 5D2 for detail at low ISOs. That's impressive.

So where does this leave the current paradigm of what FF cameras are today? It leaves many questions:

1. Will the current design trends in FF cameras continue to be successful or does FF need a makeover moving forward (smaller, mirrorless, pancakes, the Canon version of Leica)?

2. Are current mirrorless systems just a fad and in a few years people will realize they want the big cameras, sensors and lenses again?

3. Is FF now pigeon-holed as a pro-only type of system? Too big and too expensive?

The mirrorless compact market has certainly shaken things up. Interesting times ahead
--
Check out the new site:
http://www.gipperich-photography.com
Or the portrait gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow