Started Dec 29, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jdefuria
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Tamron 70-300 VC ergonomics
Dec 29, 2011

I'll be choosing either the Nikon 70-300 VR or the Tamron 70-300 VC as my zooming telephoto...and pretty much all the reviews I've read put the Tamron optics on par or better than the nikon, the VC on par or better, and the AF performance about the same or perhaps slightly worse. Based on this alone I would choose the Tamron and keep the extra $200.

However, the main gripe with the Tamron lens seems to be with ergonomics. (Large lens hood, and one that blocks the zoom ring if reverse mounted.) Now, I don't really think that's gonig to be a problem for me because my primary intended use for this lens will be at kids outdoor sporting events... so I won't need to quickly whip out the lens from my bag and possibly miss a shot because I had to remove the lens hood from the reverse (storage) position before getting a shot off....

That being said...if I wanted a smaller lens hood is it simple enough to find one from a 3rd party? Or is the lens hood specific for the manufacturer and lens?

Should I generally expect that I will be using a lens hood for the daylight outdoor shots? (Or just a lens filter?)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow