Strange problem with RAW conversions from the Fuji X10.

Started Dec 28, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Coulter
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Strange problem with RAW conversions from the Fuji X10.
Dec 28, 2011

I just got the x10 the other day. I've been saving each picture to both raw and jpg files. I've tried converting the raw files using both "Adobe Camera Raw 6.6" and "Silkypix". I find a strange thing happs when I compare the raw conversion of each picture to the same jpg picture. The raw pictures convert to the same dimensions as the jpg pictures 4000 x 3000, however, the raw pictures are cropped a small amount. Silkypix crops them more than Adobe Camera Raw does. Compared to the jpg output from the camera, Silkypix crops each picture about 11 pixels on both the left and the right side of each picture. Adobe Camera Raw crops the pictures about 4 pixels on both the left and the right side of each picture.

I know its a small amount, but if you overlay the jpg on the raw picture, they don't line up. If I do the same thing with pictures from my Canon 5D II both jpg and raw are exactly the same.

Does anyone know if there's some setting in the raw conversion that I can fix that, or is it just bad programming on Adobe and Silkypix end of things?

Here's 3 samples of the same picture. If you look at the edges of each picture you can see the slight differences where the raw conversions crop the picture compared to the jpg version. If you load each picture into a different tab in your browser, it's pretty easy to see the difference. (I converted the 2 raw conversions to jpg so you can see them.)

jpg from the camera;

raw using Adobe Camera Raw;

raw using Silkypix;

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BobNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow