Started Dec 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Paulo Matos
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
Re: fairness
In reply to jrtrent, Dec 28, 2011

jrtrent wrote:

OldArrow wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, regarding the algorhytm, but it seems to me that more votes to calculate with gives more accurate results.

Denjw commented on wanting his votes to be fair. At that point, I went back to the challenge and withdrew all my votes. It has become apparent to me that I don't share the same appreciation for images that the editors at DPReview, and most voters in general, do. In this challenge, I found no 5 star images, but did give four 4's, seven 3's, twenty-five 2's, and sixty-four 1's. I have no appreciation for obvious wide angle shots, hyped colors, reflections, excessivley blurred water, or close-ups of birds, bugs, and blooms. Rather than vote on every image, and stain otherwise fine pictures with my prejudices, I choose to vote by typically just giving 4's and 5's to those images that appeal to me. I don't know what impact it has on the voting algorithm, but I think it's more fair not to allow my biases to result in low scores for styles of photography that don't appeal to me. And DPReview's Challenges Help article says, "We chose a rating system over a ranking system because it frees you (the judges) from having to judge every image. Voting on only a subset of images in a challenge has no negative impact on the fairness of final result so take it easy."

Unfortunately the sentence in the article is not completely true and if you vote in only a few pictures, the others can be prejudiced. This happens because of the Bayesian methods used to calculate each image average. It can happen that an image with a greater mean average ranks lower than other with an inferior mean average, simply because it hasn't got so much votes.

Paulo Matos's gear list:Paulo Matos's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow