On the verge of ditching u43s

Started Dec 27, 2011 | Discussions thread
Keith Lommel
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?
Re: General Reply
In reply to warrj, Dec 28, 2011

To clarify. It seems that the consensus here seems to be that a GH2 + 14-140 cannot replace a DSLR + camcorder combo.

There is no such consensus. I, for one, considered buying a camcorder when I saw several good ones with very steep black friday discounts. But after playing with them a bit, I decided against it, because for my purposes I could literally think of no situations in which I'd actually choose to use a consumer camcorder instead of my GH2.

I'm not alone either... there are many others who much prefer a GH2 to any camcorder.

And with the addition of some of the latest fast primes for m43, I'm getting dangerously close to ditching my DSLR. And if it was anything less than a 5D2, I'd have probably ditched it already, but alas, I can't quite bring myself to give up the 5D2's amazing stills.

Leaving aside still image quality which, I maintain, is a subjective judgement it seems that the GH2 cannot replace a camcorder due to its inability to keep moving subjects in focus.

In my opinion and experience, most camcorders do a bad job of this as well. Granted, deeper DOF might make it somewhat more acceptable to average end users, but I think careful use of MF and/or pre-focusing give better results. And I find it easier to do the latter on a GH2 than on most any consumer camcorder.

One of the much trumpeted benefits of the GH2 over video-capable DSLRs is the GH2's ability to quickly refocus during video recording. If this isn't good enough to replace a camcorder then, frankly, what's the big deal?

The GH2 is light years ahead of my 5D2 (and most other DSLRs) in this regard. In fast moving situations, I often do a quick AF refocus with the GH2 and get very acceptable results. It's a bad habit, though, on the rare occasions when I try to shoot something with my 5D2, because doing so is almost always a disaster on that camera.

-- hide signature --

Keith

Keith Lommel's gear list:Keith Lommel's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
IBISNew
okayNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow