ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
moony16
Regular MemberPosts: 419
Like?
MICRO 4/3rds and Macro
Dec 28, 2011

Hi:

I was not considering the M 4/3rds system, but a recent thread I placed in this forum has me thinking. While trying to help out a friend with her GH2, I posted a question here & learned a good deal. For example, I learned the 4/3rds system is much easier to manuallly focus than typical DSLRs.

Currently, I 've been shooting 2 systems: a crop sensor Pentax; and a full frame Nikon. I use the crop sensor exclusively for Macro work, mainly because of the 1.5 crop factor, which provides me with more MPs on my subjects for less money than shooting Macro with my D700 would. The crop sensor is also lighter and easier to manage, except for MFing which is much easier on the D700.

I understand the 4/3rds system has a 2 times crop factor and the ability to mount my macro glass. I would lose AF, but that is not a big deal for Macro work. It seems to me, I would gain a lot with an M4/3rs body.

For example, my 90mm f/2.8 Macro glass (which functions like a 135mm f/2.8 on APS-c) would function as a 180mm f 2.8 on an 4/3rds body and the system would get lighter as a result of the smaller body. But more importantly, with the ease and accuracy of the EVF, macro focusing would become a joy instead of a struggle & the ability to MF for Macro is crucial.

It seems to me, though I'm just starting to look into this cool world of 4/3rds, that a 4/3rds body would give me a serious advantage ifor Macro work. Any thoughts? If you think there is merit to this thinking, can you please recommned a good choice in a body? I would be very grateful for all help.

Thanks,

JT
--
Who looks outside,
dreams; who looks
inside, awakens

Carl Jung (1875-1961)

Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
JonNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow