S100 JPEG compression ratio

Started Dec 24, 2011 | Discussions thread
Renard DellaFave
Contributing MemberPosts: 787Gear list
Like?
Re: S100 JPEG compression ratio
In reply to jmeyersnv, Dec 27, 2011

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG

Has some decent examples of different compression ratios. one graph tells me, for example, that 5:1 is a little less than Photoshop's 60 quality. I usually consider 80 (2:1 for their picture) to be archival or repeated editing tolerant. Maybe using 60 for the web as I have been is a bit of overkill.

Anyway, JPG artifacts are pretty easy to see and I have to look pretty carefully at the right kinds of areas to see any with the L/fine. Usually I can't find any. The image is rarely that sharp at a pixel level that you see the stuff JPG does to vector art or type.

However, yeah, detail is being lost compared to raw, maybe from the NR more than the compression. I've seen plenty of examples of how much extra detail you can pull from a raw on the s100 (not a huge amount, but easy enough to see), but not JPG compression issues I think.

Cool surprise is S100 can shoot M2 + RAW. That's great. If I have a raw, a 2MP JPG is usually more than enough for what I'd do with it before deciding to process the raw.

Renard DellaFave's gear list:Renard DellaFave's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Canon PowerShot S100 Sony RX100 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow