ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
andrewsf
Contributing MemberPosts: 532Gear list
Like?
7D Weather Sealing - Err 50 :(
Dec 27, 2011

Hi All

Was out shooting a storm the other night and it started thumping down. I put the cam under my shirt and ran for cover. The camera got wet but I had a 70-200IS II on which is also weather sealed so I thought it would be OK.

Now the camera is displaying all kinds of weird symptoms.

At first it was able to play images on the card but when shooting, would pop up the flash and display ERR 50. Some googling said this indicates a problem with the electronics... Great. Also, the focus points were not displaying in the view finder, nor was the info along the bottom.

It's been drying for a couple of days in a warm room and for a while I was able to get it to shoot but the LCD on the top panel has stopped working. The focus points were displaying but no info in the viewfinder.

Now it's back to ERR 50 again and I'm waiting on hearing back from Canon as to where I can send it in for repairs.

So, I'd just like to let you 7D owners know that while the camera is supposedly sealed against weather and dust, it's not as well sealed as one might believe. Hopefully the repairs aren't too expensive. I've had the camera less than a month

The irony is that my 400D that's 5 years old has been more wet than the 7D was and still goes fine. Bummer! I'll follow up when I have heard back from canon and whether I can get it fixed or not.
--
http://www.andrewfordphoto.com/
http://flickr.com/photos/andrew_ford

andrewsf's gear list:andrewsf's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X) Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow