Pangloss
Senior MemberPosts: 2,298Gear list
Like?
Explanation
In reply to nicolabotta, Dec 26, 2011

Nicola,

nicolabotta wrote:

Johannes, a short update:

• checking / unchecking auto-brightness does not seem to have any effect on a picture's preview (embedded jpeg preview) but it has a significant effect on DNG imports (Edit -> Import).

This is because the preview is based on the exposure-corrected low resolution JPEG which is embedded in the DNG file.

• there are still huge differences between in-camera JPGs and the jpegs obtained from the raw files via digikam.

Oh yes. In many cases I prefer the JPEGs from the GXR rather than anything I manage to come up with in postprocessing using RT/Digikam/Gimp. Ricoh has really fine-tuned the JPEG engine in the GXR, in fact each GXR module has its own fine-tuned JPEG engine.

This is one of the reasons I always shoot in raw + JPEG fine mode. For 95% of my photos I don't even have to deal with raw developing, I use the out-of-camera JPEGs from the GXR.

Cheers,
--
Andrew
Novice photographer

Pangloss's gear list:Pangloss's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Nikon 1 V1 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow