How could I have improved these?

Started Dec 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
Doug Pardee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,492Gear list
Like?
Re: How could I have improved these?
In reply to KennethKoh, Dec 26, 2011

Improved in what way? What don't you like about them, and what do you like about them?

There are an infinite number of answers to your open-ended question, including an infinite number of "correct" answers for some definition of the word correct . Photography is an art, and contrary to popular opinion, there is no absolute "correct."

Also, you didn't say if you meant you wanted to know how you could have taken a better photo, whether the photos should or shouldn't make the cut during culling, or how best to adjust them in post-processing.

Specific advice:

Taking: For the first photo, fill-flash would have done wonders. The second photo probably could have benefited from fill-flash, too.

Culling: In this day of everyone doing post-processing, there's a strong tendency to try to "save" every photo. Personally, I think that's misguided. Will we really have use for hundreds of thousands of photos in our old age? I think not. I think we should concentrate on the good photos, and let the weak ones go. Most photographers have a "keeper" rate of 10% or lower, and most pros probably have an even lower "keeper" rate due to higher standards. I'd give the first one an immediate heave-ho and not waste any time on it.

Post-processing: I like B&W. For me , a conversion to B&W would be an improvement on the second photo. You might not think that B&W is an improvement, and that's an important consideration. They're your photos, and you get to decide what they should look like.

-- hide signature --

The LightZombie Project: volunteers keeping LightZone viable for current licensees. http://lightzombie.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 LG G2 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow