How could I have improved these?

Started Dec 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
mgd43
Senior MemberPosts: 3,172Gear list
Like?
Re: How could I have improved these?
In reply to The_cheshirecat, Dec 26, 2011

The main problem with asking people's opinions on one's photos is that we all have different opinions on what is good. A second problem is that some people are totally lacking in consideration of other people's feelings. One can criticize and still be tactful.

In general, the elements of a good photo are content, composition, and light. We can't always control the light, but we can control the content and the composition. The first photo needed some explanation on your part in order to give it a fair opinion. That's what any criticism is, an opinion. And the most important opinion is your own.

I like the second photo. It's an interesting (to me) tree and you avoided placing it dead center. The blue sky and light clouds make a nice background.

People learn different ways. Some people prefer to learn photography by taking courses. Others jump right in and learn by trial and error. My preference was by reading books and magazines and then putting what I learned into practice. I've also learned a lot, especially about digital photography on forums like this. Most important is to remember that one never stops learning.

My best advice is to be yourself. Shoot what you like the way you like and don't worry about what other people think. You can't please everyone, so don't even try.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow