Started Dec 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nicolabotta
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
GXR raw and jpeg in digikam
Dec 26, 2011

I have a GXR since about three weeks and I'm still experimenting with the camera settings and with a new 50mm module.

One aspect I'd like to ask some advice about ist the relationship between raw (DNG) and JPG files. I'm new to raw shooting so I might have misunderstood something elementary.

I have been shooting in RAW [F], AUTO white balance, STANDARD colors mainly in M oder A mode and spot EM. The intention was to use DNG for storage and postprocessing and JPG for preview.

Now I'm not sure this approach actually works for me: I see significant differences in brightness between DNG and JPG files in digikam 1.2.0. In most cases DNG files appear to be significantly brighter than the correspondent JPG preview, in particular for long exposures.

I'm reporting three examples. In each example the first picture has been obtained by importing the GXR DNG file in digikam with standard settings and rescaling to 800 pixels. The second one has been obtained by rescaling the GXR JPG file to 800 pixels. Here is a first example:

I do not know how the files would look like with different camera and digikam import settings or in Aperture or Lightroom. With my settings it seems I cannot really rely on the JPG preview for judging the exposure of the raw file.

Initially i thought the DNG files would consistently appear more exposed than the corresponding JPG files. Here is another example, this time from the A12 module:

However, I have meanwhile realized that this is not always the case. Here's a final example in which the DNG file come out slightly less exposed than the corresponding JPG:

Any idea how to setup the camera and/or the digikam program to get consistent exposure in DNG and JPG files ? Thanks, Nicola

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow