ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
salesgenie
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?
NEX 7 first thoughts vs NEX5
Dec 26, 2011

Coming from a NEX 5....

Pros: awesome "pop" when paired with the Zeiss 24 with that 3D effect that Zeiss has; the tri navi is great and you can fly through settings - shooting manual will be effortless; ISO 1600 worried me but it is actually quite great; there is NO lag whatsoever - it is almost if you breathe on the shtter button it releases; Build quality is first rate - even the small spring that releases the flash is well engineered and manufactured; the EVF is a small wonder and really helps framing for the ADHD types like myself who get distracted by staring at the rear LCD from 12 inches away - I did not realize how poor my composition skills were becoming with my NEX5

Cons: IT CLICKS! Not the same 5N clicking but the damn connectors for the strap bang against the camera - may need to remove them or dampen them, strap would definitely solve; but I hate putting a strap on such a small package. AWB is off ocassionally - tends to go very cool but if you point away and recompose it sometimes adjusts otherwise simply switch to a cloudy and it warms up nicely, programming the tri navi is a bit confusing but I have only gotten through the small manual; the flash is poor - very harsh and much closer the the lense so red eye is also an issue but luckily the low light capability is so good I rarely used it - used an old clear film canister for a diffuser on the NEX5 so I will find a solution tomorrow.

I am still very impressed with the quality of the sensor in the 5N and was worried I made the wrong choice. However, the tri navi, low light ability is "good enough", EVF, and build quality are enough to justify keeping it.

Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow