Fellow NEXers: know anything about 4x5 view cameras?

Started Dec 26, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pockets33433
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Fellow NEXers: know anything about 4x5 view cameras?
Dec 26, 2011

I'm asking you guys this because I'm an NEX-5N user.

Anyone use a 4x5 view camera?

I'm in my late 20's and all I've ever really known has been digital (except basic consumer 35mm cameras when I was a kid, although my mom has some cool old film cameras like a Minolta SLR and a Leica from the 40's that she inherited recently). I thought it would be cool to learn LF photography (but use a scanner to convert into digital). I never took a formal photography class in school or anything so am teaching myself.

The jump sounds really big, but from what I hear, the quality of digital equals film at the next format size up, so APS-C is a good as 35mm film and Full Frame digital is as good as medium format film (of course this is a debate I really can't chime in on). So instead of medium format film, why not 4x5 LF photography with all the movements and the real careful setup involved where I could make a crazy awesome big print and hang it on my wall? Seems like a credited way to learn.

Anyway it sounds cool to me, so was potentially going to buy a rig. But it is very complicated. Anyone have any general suggestions for a beginner?

I suppose the first thing I want to ask is if buying a cheap used monorail view camera would be too bulky to really enjoy or if buying a much more expensive used wooden field camera would be better because just easier to set up and carry around in the city and in the country.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow