A55 , defective 4way controller , any clues?

Started Dec 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ron Co
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566
Like?
A55 , defective 4way controller , any clues?
Dec 25, 2011

Hi

I decided to give the A55 an outing for Christmas day and took it on our daily forest walk.

Sometime ago i noticed that when reviewing images it would often start to scroll through them without my touching the directional buttons on the controller but it was just an annoyance not enough to bother me

This morning when I went out I tried to adjust some settings, for some reason it was on timer delay which was not going to be much use if i saw a bird.

Simple adjustment BUT every time I tried to access the Function button it refused to let me go up and down the selection

I tried the menu to reset to default - no luck it jumped across the pages and every time I tried to press "reset defaults" I ended up setting the USB connection?

Experimenting further I realised it is jamming to a left direction on the 4 way controller ,so I have lost vertical movement (UP and DOWN directions cannot be accessed) ,so I cannot change ISO , frame rate , etc so I ended up sticking it on AUTO mode (shame) and using it that way

I suspect it could be dust or water got into the controller and corrupted it in some way , typically it has to happen over the Christmas period LOL

It is not urgent I still have the A700 and A77 to use but I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with the controller jamming or skipping around like that and if so how it was remedied ( sent back for service is the obvious one )

Needless to say it is well out of warranty (unless it came with a 3 to 5 year warranty???)

The fault is not unknown to me my little WX1 does a similar trick when trying to scroll through image reviews and when I mentioned it to my friend at Sony Centre he admitted having a similar problem with one of his cameras (solved by buying a newer model!)

So anyone else experienced that? How to avoid it or rectify it, if sent back for service what was involved? Time and cost if known .Not asking much

It can still be used on all Auto but review needs a quick eye LOL

My cameras are not abuse but they are not treated like fragile eggs either , I use them and take them in all sorts of normal places but I realise even the best can be affected if some foreign object gets in the wrong place, in this case i expect it is the base of the 4 way controller , hopefully the A77 is better sealed there

anyway

ho ho ho time so hope that all who read this have a pleasant break and enjoy their time with loved ones

Ron having a cool to mild (16-20C) wet Christmas day in Tasmania

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX1 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow