Started Dec 25, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
famous amos
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Canon 40D still relevant?
Dec 25, 2011

Hi, I posted here once before. I bought a 60D refurbished and had a problem with the memory card slot. Canon agreed to either give me a full refund or an exchange. At the moment, they are out of stock on 60D refurbished so they told me they would credit me until they had some in stock.

Today, I started looking into other options and I started looking into the 50D. I find it so strange that some people are still selling their used 50D's for prices near the cost of near new 60D's or the price of my refurbished 60D, and they are FIRM on their prices, or so their ads say.....so I moved on to the 40D.

I found 40D's for prices around $350~$450 which is still about $300-400 cheaper than my 60D. I know that in about one or two years, when I am able to discern the different nuances that make a great image, I will want to sell the camera and upgrade. Are there any discernable differences in image quality? I dont use video so that is a nonissue. With all technical specifications set aside, would people be able to tell the difference in a blind test?

I have a 50mm 1.8 lens and 17-40mm f/4 L that my uncle has passed down to me so I have decent glass.

So is it worth the savings by purchasing the used 40D? The difference would go into buying a better laptop (macbook pro 13 in. base model). I am currently running on a pentium processor laptop and dont know how photoshop elements would run on this computer (I have yet to try out PS). But seeing that this computer has trouble watching some HD youtube videos, I would presume that it would have trouble running photoshop. Do you think its better to buy a decent computer for processing images? I would really appreciate some advice.

40D + Better computer VS 60D and Cheaper $400-500 computer

When I see pictures posted on flickr, are they usually processed? I have never used photoshop and was wondering if the difference in my less saturated pictures and their beautiful pictures is a run throughh photoshop.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow