ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skisagooner
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
S100 for a beginner?
Dec 24, 2011

Okay I'm adding fuel to the S100 fire.

I'm an architecture student starting to pursue my interest in photography, and I've been looking at the S100 for months now. I've considered the prospect of a DSLR, but it's bulky to carry around frequently, and more importantly, it's really expensive. Especially when we talk about wide angle lenses, which is crucial for architectural photography.

(an 18-55 kit lens provide a 28.8mm equivalent wide angle zoom, and the S100 is 24mm equivalent on the wide end)

Also all these months of 'photography study' has made me learn a lot about the technical side of photography (aperture, shutter speed, etc). Stuffs people learn after they get their camera, I learn before. So I'd like to utilise manual controls for my pictures.

And the 'plan' is that maybe if I decide to pursue deeper into photography or outgrew the S100, I'd get something like a 60D. Or should I just get the 60D now? I think that'd be more of a gamble than an investment since I'm not that into photography yet.

But some of my friends would argue that the price of the S100 could almost buy me a entry level/2nd hand DSLR.

Could someone point me to the light?

P.S: Marry Christmas!

skisagooner's gear list:skisagooner's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow