Leica or Carl Zeiss Lenses?

Started Dec 20, 2011 | Discussions thread
efix
Senior MemberPosts: 2,026Gear list
Like?
Re: Leica or Carl Zeiss Lenses?
In reply to Michael Everett, Dec 22, 2011

Michael Everett wrote:

How good is the Voigtländer CV 15. I shoot with a lot of Zeiss on my Nex 5n and am considering it. How does it compare with Zeiss lenses?

Michael, you can find a lot of information on the CV 15/4.5 in various forums and websites. Pretty much everybody who ever used it has nothing but praise for it. For starters, I recommend Stephen Gandy's paragraph on the 15/4.5 on his Voigtländer lens page: http://cameraquest.com/voigtlen.htm

The 15/4.5 is a rectilinear lens with as good as no distortion. It is pretty sharp in the center at all apertures, whereas the corners are slightly soft at f/4.5. The angle is, of course, very wide. I find it has good contrast and neutral colour reproduction, if slightly on the cool side compared to Zeiss lenses.

I have no experience with Zeiss' wide angle offerings. The 18/4 looks to be a very nice lens with typical Zeiss rendering. The 15/2.8 is a beast, insanely expensive and not rf coupled. I'd take the Heliar over either of these any time: It's relatively cheap, insanely small and a very good performer. If you're looking for a super wide, the Heliar really is a no-brainer.

efix's gear list:efix's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow