Teacher: Re decision between micro 4/3rds or high end compact?

Started Dec 22, 2011 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Lichenophile
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Teacher: Re decision between micro 4/3rds or high end compact?
Dec 22, 2011

Hi:

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a micro-4/3rds camera or a high end compact. Feedback is most appreciated. I'm a naturalist educator. My camera budget is $420 max. None of the micro 4/3rds cameras seem to have a built in GPS.

Most of my pics will be taken outdoors and be of plants and lichens, frequently in forested (ie. low light conditions) and damp/misty/rainy/dirty conditions in the Pacific NW but I also hope to travel to sunny dry areas for photos as well.

I want to be able to take clear, crisp closeups of lichens and plants showing their pertinent growth/reproductive/seed details as well as overall pictures of larger plants/trees and scenic shots clearly showing habitats.

I also want to take videos of natural scenes such as a spider building a web, a slug eating a mushroom, a frog moving, rivers flowing to the ocean and driftwood and tidal action...and of course pics of friends at events/holidays as well.

I participate in lichen surveys where having GPS coordinates for herbarium samples is useful. (I don't own a GPS or smart phone!) Also, I do basic microscope work and use an Olympus dissecting scope (Model SAZ3060) with 26 mm dual eyepieces and a compound Aus Jena (Zeiss) Laboval Compound scope with dual eyepieces at 22 mm across. It would be great to have a camera that could fit an adaptor to at least take photos via the dissecting scope without undo distortion, where images are clear, crisp and not too dark.

I plan to use these botany-related photos mainly for educational purposes: In displays at 8 1/2 by 11' size, (poster size would be great but not essential), 'flash cards,' presentations (I have only an old-fashioned overhead projector at this point) and possibly create a simple Plant Id and Trail Guide booklet/small book for a local state park, and to share photos via Internet. I have a HP Photosmart Plus printer and just got Adobe Lightroom and Window's Vista. I have some experience with shooting in Manual focus and using RAW setting and some basic editing/cropping experience.

So, what's the feedback...should I go for a Micro 4/3rds or focus on a higher end compact? Also, which cameras in particular would you recommend...I'd like to narrow down my choices to 10 cameras at the most. Thanks so much, Melissa

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
GPSNew
lx3New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow