FZ150 and night photography

Started Dec 21, 2011 | Discussions thread
Tootsall
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ150 and night photography
In reply to Midwest, Dec 22, 2011

Some interesting results from experimenting with Night Modes (both Night Portrait and iHandheld Nite) this evening. Firstly, Midwest is absolutely correct: ISO setting is taken from the hands of the photographer regardless of what has been preset in the Menu options. (I have the camera set for Auto ISO - Max 400, autofocus). Secondly, White Balance adjustment is also taken away and as you can see, photos under street lights (mercury, sodium or whatever) will result in some rather "interesting" hues; especially if there is snow on the ground! I had to put ev -1.67 to try to prevent blowing out the white nativity scene in the middle (with less than adequate effect!)

I have to agree that perhaps going into P (possibly even using M?) will leave both of those adjustments where the photographer can set them properly. (That will be the next experiment).

iA mode:
iHandheld Nite ON

Motion Deblur ON

I also tried setting the camera for "Night Portrait"-"Hand Held" and took a shot on the tripod and then hand-held. I thought that the hand-held would be better because of the OIS but even though I had a tree to lean against and steady on, I am surprised that the tripod shot is sharper. The white balance and ISO settings are still taken out of the hands of the operator.

On tripod (that streak of light is a passing car while the camera was taking it's 10 samples)

Hand-held

-- hide signature --

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."... Edmund Burke

Tootsall's gear list:Tootsall's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D5300 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow